Join the Twin Cities chapter of the Institute for Noetic Sciences (IONS). Our mission: To explore a wide range of topics related to consciousness and the science of what connects us.
We Tend to Meet Second Wednesdays but are now on hiatus for summer months. See you in September!
Thanks to the generosity of the Lake Harriet Spiritual Community in Linden Hills (44th and Upton), we tend to have a standing conversation on second Wednesdays at 7-8:30pm. Thanks to LHSC for making their space available each month!
If you would like to add to our discussions with insights from someone you’ve been studying/reading, and feel comfortable sharing what you’ve learned for roughly half hour before we open into group discussion, let us know. If you sign up to the monthly e-news above, you’ll have all the contact info (and more) that you need to join in. (No previous participation or preparation required.)
Mikki’s related column “Attainable We” appears in Southwest Journal and on Medium (you can subscribe to that one).
May 3: “The Structure That Does Not Bind Us,” a discussion led by Mikki Morrissette. Cells are transforming all the time. We share our bacteria with others. Pheromones, sweat, breath all extend the boundaries of self. We eat and breathe that which largely comes from plants. Nothing about the make-up of our foundation is permanently “us.” At our most fundamental level, human beings are not separated from each other, no matter where our skin structure ends. Even our personal identity morphs over time as we interact continually with others. How do we share the story of our interconnectedness?
“A human being … experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest. A kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us.” — Albert Einstein
RELATED: Thoughts at 2016 SAND conference from Zen pathologist Neil Theise (see 6:30-14:30).
- April 12: “The HeartMath Model: The Heart in Action,” facilitated by Tezikiah Gabriel, Certified HeartMath Coach and Trainer.
- “Everyone is Psychic,” a guided exercise led by Barbara Vaile, March 8, 2017. Fun gathering where we discovered what happens when we take our ego brain out of the equation and simply sense.
- Last in a four-part series, January 11, 2017: group video and discussion about Peter Russell. What is the universe made of? What is the biological foundation for consciousness? We watched this video clip from and had a conversation about it. The insights of Peter Russell.
“Nothing in Western science predicts that any living creature should be conscious. It is easier to explain how hydrogen evolved into other elements, how they combined to form molecules and then simple living cells, and how these evolved into complex begins such as ourselves than it is to explain why we should ever have a single inner experience.” – Peter Russell
- The Bohm Balm: A post-election discussion, by Mikki Morrissette (November 9, 2016). Quantum physicist David Bohm, who left the U.S. after being impacted by McCarthyism, believed mankind could bridge gaps by recognizing the universe as interconnected. He said it is our “intellect” — a fixed idea about the categorizations our brain trusts as truth — that traps us. An essay inspired by the conversation here.
“The attempt to live according to the notion that the fragments are really separate is, in essence, what has led to the growing series of extremely urgent crises that are confronting us today.”
— David Bohm, “Wholeness and the Implicate Order”
- Integration of the Whole: An Exploration of Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, by Endel Kallas (October 26, 2016). Like an Escher painting, Teilhard felt the universe was conscious of itself, and our Earthly circle was capable of bridging community in a sphere that connects us in purpose. Find a synopsis of our conversation here.
“An interpretation of the universe remains unsatisfying unless it covers the interior as well as the exterior of things; mind as well as matter.” — Pierre Teilhard de Chardin
- Dark Matter/Dark Energy and Consciousness, by Patrick King (September 14, 2016). A summary of research and conversation about the dark matter and dark energy that makes up 95% of the universe, and where human consciousness and visible matter falls as the rare material on the pyramid. Find a synopsis of the conversation here.
- The Journey of Psychedelics — we had a very interesting talk from visitor Dr. Walter Weisenburger, who explored with us the history and current news about LSD and synthetics. He is a member of the IONS Community Group Leadership Council and a community group leader for the Flathead Valley IONS group in Montana. He is a retired scientist from the pharmaceutical industry.
- Eric Christopherson — past life regression and hynotherapy
- “I Am” documentary screening and discussion
- Group channeling session led by member Lynda Austin
- The power of healing energies, led by member Pauline Kaplan
- The science of transformation — how Darwin, Thomas Kuhn and Bruce Lipton are steering us to a revolution of change, led by Mikki Morrissette, as a variation on her 40-minute talk at Lake Harriet Spiritual Center (12-minute excerpt: http://youtu.be/upOzxfSkIhM)
- “Spiritual Telepathy” author Colleen Mauro, former editor of Intuition: A Magazine for the Higher Potential of the Mind magazine, led us on a discussion of how intuition is part of the sixth sense of perception and how our mind can help us peer into something beyond the five senses of this world.
- Viewing of “The Power of the Heart”
- Conversation with Patty Perell about abundance and gratitude
- Animal communication with Lena Swanson
- Numerology with Susan Shopek
- “Finding Joe” screening. Joseph Campbell discovered the “heroes journey” pattern in every story, while studying world mythology. This film explores our own heroes journey into self discovery.
What Are We Inspired By?
Dark Night Early Dawn by Chris Bashe (Patrick)
The Way of the Explorer* by Edgar Mitchell (Ward)
Soulcraft: Crossing into the mysteries of nature and psyche by Bill Plotkin (Endel)
Journey of Souls by Michael Newton (Anne)
One Mind: How our individual mind is part of a greater consciousness and why it matters by Larry Dossey (Dan)
A Hidden Wholeness: The Journey Toward an Undivided Life by Parker Palmer
Deep Spirit: Cracking the Noetic Code by Christian de Quincy
The Living Universe by Duane Elgin
Christ in Evolution by Ilia Delio (Endel)
The Holographic Universe by Michael Talbot (Mikki)
Dean Radin* (multiple citings)
Roger Walsh (Ward)
Joanna Macy (Kaia)
Pierre Teilhard de Chardin (Endel)
Ellen Watts (Vivian)
Rupert Sheldrake (Dan)
Ervin Laszlo (Mikki)
Personal Interest Topics
Gaiam TV (Anne)
Connectedness to nature
Dreams as communication
Our role in universe
Science & Spirituality
Taking time to see spiritual in daily living